Friday, February 15, 2008

Taurus Burns



True Colors – primary self-portrait, 2008
Oil on Canvas

I moved to Detroit from Ann Arbor in 1998 to study Fine Arts at the College for Creative Studies, where I received a BFA in 2002. I remember when I would visit Detroit before moving here, I thought it was the most depressing city… mile upon mile of ruin and poverty. But after living in and around Detroit for almost 10 years, I see the city in a different way. There is an innocence in everyone I meet that is highlighted by an environment that wreaks of abandonment... it is a beautiful contrast. There is a force of life that is creating change and renewing this once vital city.

Detroit has really grown on me. I continue to meet many people in the city that I admire for their courage, resilience, creativity and passion. I enjoy being a part of that community as I enjoy watching the city find its legs. Since graduating I have continued to show my art around southeast Michigan and to pursue new challenges to my creative work and self-awareness. Currently I am on the exhibition committee at the Detroit Artist Market- a longstanding gallery in Detroit dedicated to the education and promotion of contemporary art. In my own paintings I create both realistic and symbolic paintings of people that explore basic universal human desires. Examples of my art can be found on my new website: www.paintdetroit.com

No comments: